Plant City Bond Hearing Attorney

Call Us Now (813) 759-1224

The purpose of the Court setting bail is to make sure that the Defendant shows up for trial, and any other Court appearances that may be required. The first court date for a criminal defendant after arrest is called “First Appearance” or sometimes “Preliminary Appearance.” At the first appearance court date, the Court determines the amount of the bond based upon various statutory factors.

A skilled and experienced bond hearing attorney should appear on behalf of the Defendant, and make legal arguments on behalf of the Defendant regarding why the bond should lower than as requested by the Office of the State Attorney (the prosecutor) or why the Defendant should be released on his own recognizance (commonly called “ROR”).

Often a skilled and experienced criminal defense attorney from Byrd & Barnhill can actually save money for a criminal defendant by reducing the amount of the bond set by the Court.

Plant City Emergency Bond Hearing Lawyer

It is a common occurrence that a Defendant cannot hire an attorney in time to represent him at the First Appearance hearing, and then the Court sets a bond amount the Defendant believes is unreasonably high, in other words, a bond that is beyond the financial means of the Defendant. A skilled and experienced emergency bond hearing attorney can file a Motion To Reduce Bond, and have that Motion heard on an emergency basis. Then the newly hired emergency bond hearing attorney can make legal arguments and bring facts to the attention of the Court that the Court may not have considered at “First Appearance.” Often the emergency bond hearing attorney can convince the Court that the bond amount should be reduced, or in some circumstances that the Defendant should be released on his own recognizance (commonly called “ROR”). In short, the emergency bond hearing is a “second chance” at the issue of bond.

Posting or "Making" Bond

Once the Court has set the bond amount, there are different ways for a Defendant (or his loved ones) to post the bond. Each method of posting bond has its “pros” and “cons.” Often it becomes a financial and economic decision of what method is a better fit for the person posting the bond.

Cash bond.

A friend or family member of the Defendant can go to the county jail and post the entire bond amount on behalf of the Defendant. As long as the Defendant appears at all required court appearances, the cash bond will be refunded at the end of the case. However, if the conclusion of the case results in a plea agreement, then fines and court costs may be deducted from the cash bond.

Surety bond.

A friend or family member of the Defendant can go to a person commonly called a bail bondsman. The friend or family member of the Defendant pays 10% of the bond amount, this is commonly called the premium. Then the bail bondsman posts the remaining amount of the bond. At the end of the case, the bail bondsman keeps the premium amount.

Plant City Criminal Lawyer

Johnnie Byrd and David Barnhill are experienced Plant City criminal lawyers providing aggressive criminal defense to defendants with traffic, criminal traffic, DUI, misdemeanor and felony criminal charges. From the time you become a party of interest, through arrest, first appearance, bond hearing, arraignment, disposition, motions to suppress evidence hearings, to jury trial, you need the services of the criminal law attorneys to stand beside you and aggressively defend you. Do not hesitate to call for a consultation, even if you only fear that criminal charges may be brought against you.

Plant City Criminal Lawyer

If you have been questioned by a law enforcement officer or asked to give a statement to an investigator, contact us immediately. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

A Plant City Criminal Defense Attorney can Help

If you (or a loved one) have been arrested for a criminal offense in Tampa or in Plant City or anywhere else in Hillsborough County it is important that you consult with an experienced and knowledgeable Tampa / Plant City Criminal Defense Attorney.  

Act Now - Call Us at 813-759-1224

The sooner you hire a lawyer, the sooner you will have the benefit of the insight of a knowledgeable Criminal Defense Attorney to assist you in navigating through the complicated legal process.  Your attorney can advise as to who to do, and what not to do, to help your case proceed in a positive direction.  Your Tampa / Plant City Criminal Defense Attorney can negotiate with the prosecuting attorney and the judge in your case to pursue the possibility of having the charges in your case reduced to a lesser charge, or given the facts and circumstances, possibly dismissed.

Plant City Lawyers

Johnnie Byrd and David Barnhill

Johnnie and David have experience in family law, criminal defense, probate and guardianship, auto accident law and business and construction litigation. Read more about Johnnie Byrd and David Barnhill.

Personal Attention

You will work directly with the attorney handling your case and your calls and emails will be returned promptly so that you are always informed about the status of your case.

Stacks Image 415

Reasonable Fees

Our commitment is to charge you a fair and reasonable legal fee; however, we cannot quote an exact legal fee until we have evaluated your case. After a consultation by phone or in person, you will know where you stand legally and what it will cost to hire us.


Johnnie Byrd and David Barnhill have 50 years combined experience representing clients in Hillsborough, Polk, Pinellas, and Pasco Counties. We help clients resolve matters involving auto accidents, family law, probate, guardianship, DUI, criminal and business law.


As your lawyer, we will be dedicated to helping you find a solution to your legal problems - and above all, to having the peace of mind that your legal issue is being handled by an experienced and knowledgeable attorney at law.

Free Parking
Conveniently located just two blocks from the Plant City Courthouse
206 North Collins Street
Plant City, Florida 33563
Telephone (813) 759-1224
Fax (813) 759-1101